Dave DiGiovanni is a professional web developer and marketing consultant. Ever since he created a Twitter account in 2009, he has had a passion for social media. His obsession with Twitter eventually shifted over toReddit, where he found a collection of communities that were valuable to consumers and brands. Since then, he has worked with his brother Paul to help brands engage the communities on Reddit with their blog, MarketersGuideToReddit.com, and consulting work.
Rules of Engagement on Reddit:
Approach the community the right way just like you would approach any community.
- Listen before you talk.
- Respect the people that are there.
- Respect the rules and the guidelines that they’ve put in place for various reasons.
- Understand the culture of that community.
Reddit as a Marketing Perspective:
- Half generating awareness and half doing a research.
Using Reddit for Marketing:
- Follow the marketing community on Reddit, social media, SEO, various things that are related to marketing in general.
- Using it to do a bit of research and keep in touch with what people are saying.
Two sides to Reddit:
- The collective part — People that care about Reddit culture and they care about what’s being said in the Reddit communities.
- The other part — People who find the very small number of communities that interest them and they participate there.
The key to a good AMA’s (Ask Me Anything):
- An impressive accomplishment. It’s not about what you want to do or what you think would be great for the world. It’s about what have you done that is really cool and has helped other people.
How to get started on Reddit:
- Create an account.
- Verify your email address.
- Spend a couple of weeks visiting subreddits on a regular basis and consume the contents that are being shared.
- Get in there and become a part of the community.
Flight path to AMA:
- Comment on other articles, maybe ask a question, and share some other high-value content you found. (Now you’re ready to do some advance things on the AMAs).
- Ask for feedbacks about a specific thing you’ve done or maybe promote some content that you’ve created.
- You have to take your time with Reddit. As far as internet savviness, you could immediately get it or it might take you a couple of weeks before you really start to feel comfortable on the platform.
Advanced Tactics on Reddit:
- Asking the community for feedback (if you’re a Brand)
Being Passionate about Work:
- Advanced communities do a good job of condensing lots of opinions from a community of people into one single voice that then can be communicated to people that are in power.
- Communicate with people that just don’t have time to communicate with individuals.
- There are no limits as to how we can use this community to do things in the world.
- Network Locally.
Interesting kind of Client(s):
- Content Creators – Because they are independent and they can really benefit from adding a community aspect to their marketing strategy. Whether it is engaging communities online, communities that are related to the topics that they are writing about or to create in a community for their own audience or their own fans.
2 Aspects of the Business:
- Community Engagement – Going out and finding the communities.
- Community Development – Building your own community for your own audience.
Recommended Sources for Monitoring Brands and Keywords on Reddit:
Next big project:
- Keep focusing on the community engagement on Reddit.
- Trying to get more into the community development side of things.
- Look for the right client or brand that is looking to build a community for their customers, for their fans and help them do that.
- Tim Ferriss
– I love his ability to learn. He’s all about learning how to learn. He focuses on the things that work really well.